Dr. Sahil Atul Shah
MBBS, M.S. (Ophthalmology), FLVPEI (Cornea and Anterior Segment)
- ADDRESS : 7, Ashwaraj-II Bungalows, Thaltej, Ahmedabad-380059, Gujarat, India.
- DATE OF BIRTH : 5th January, 1990
- Mobile: +91 9998788481
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.care4cornea.com
- Clinic name and address: CENTRE FOR CORNEA Gala Business Centre -2, Above Punjab National Bank, St. Xavier’s College Corner Road, SV Desai Marg, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad – 380009.
- Clinic name and address: DR. SHAH’S SUPERSPECIALITY EYE HOSPITAL 409, Ashwamegh Elegance-3, Opp. CN Gate No.2, H colony, Ambawadi, Ahmedabad – 380006.
- OPD timings: By APPOINTMENT ONLY
- Teleconsultation: 12pm – 8pm (Monday to Saturday)
Affiliations as Cornea Surgeon:
- Dr. Atul Shah Eye Hospital, Ahmedabad.
- Netralaya Superspeciality Hospital, Ahmedabad.
- Tej Eye Hospitals, Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar.
- Dr. Sunil Shah Eye Clinic, Ahmedabad.
- Tejal Eye Hospital, Ahmedabad.
- Sanjivani Eye Clinic, Saraspur and Navrangpura.
- Saraswati Eye Hospital, Naroda, Ahmedabad.
- Jivraj Mehta Smarak Hospital, Ahmedabad.
Visiting Consultant (Cornea, Ocular Surface and Refractive Dept):
- Verma Eye Hospital, Surendranagar.
- Jhala Eye Hospital, Surendranagar.
- Shreeji Multispeciality Hospital, Dhrangadhra.
- Atmavallabh Trust Hospital, Idar.
- January 2018 – December 2019 (24 Months): Fellow (Cornea and Anterior Segment) L V PRASAD EYE INSTITUTE (LVPEI), Hyderabad, Telangana, India. (Considered the BEST FELLOWSHIP FOR CORNEA in the world.)
- July 2014 - June 2017 (36 Months): Junior Resident (Post-Graduation) (Ophthalmology) Shri C.H. NAGRI EYE HOSPITAL, V.S. General Hospital, Ahmedabad. (Considered one of the best residency programs in the western part of India.)
- Proficient in clinical diagnosis and management of Corneal dystrophies, Infections, Inflammatory corneal pathologies, Corneal degenerations, Ocular manifestations of systemic disorders, scleral pathologies, Cataract evaluation, Dry eye evaluation, Refractive surgery evaluation.
- Proficient in diagnosis and management of Paediatric corneal conditions.
- Proficient in comprehensive eye care examination.
- Optical Penetrating Keratoplasty - greater than 350 surgeries
- Optical Penetrating Keratoplasty with cataract surgery - greater than 100 surgeries
- Therapeutic Penetrating Keratoplasty - greater than 250 surgeries
- Descemet Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSAEK) - greater than 150 surgeries
- Descemet Membrane Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty (DMEK) - greater than 50 surgeries
- Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty (DALK) - greater than 30 surgeries
- Corneal / Corneo-scleral patch grafts - greater than 50 surgeries
- Tenon’s patch graft / Multilayered Amniotic membrane grafting - greater than 100 surgeries
- Corneal / Cornea-scleral Tear repairs, Wound resuturings - greater than250 surgeries
- Glue + BCL along with Anterior chamber reformation - greater than 150 surgeries
- Glue+BCL - greater than 150 surgeries
- Ocular Surface Surgeries:
- Lid margin Mucous Membrane Grafting (MMG) for Stevens Johnson Syndrome- >30 lids
- Ocular Surface MMG – 15 surgeries
- Keratoprosthesis – 15 surgeries
- Limbal stem cell transplantation (SLET, allo-SLET, CLET) - > 20 surgeries
- Amniotic Membrane Transplantation - >150 surgeries
- Pterygium surgeries - >300 surgeries
- Complex Recurrent Pterygiums, Pseudo-pterygiums - >100 surgeries
- Symblepharon release and complex anterior segment reconstruction
- Acute and chronic chemical and burn injuries
- Tarsorrhaphies, Corneal foreign body removal, pupilloplasty, iridodialysis repair, iridoplasty
- Complex Pediatric Corneal Transplants (20 surgeries) along with Pediatric Cataracts (>50 surgeries)
- Proficient in:
- LASIK, PRK - > 100 patients
- Femto LASIK – 10 patients
- SMILE – 5 patients
- Collagen Crosslinking (following conventional and Accelerated protocols, recent HAFEZI protocol as well – for keratoconus and Post-LASIK ectasia and other corneal ectatic conditions) - >200 cases
- ICL, Toric ICL – 20 patients
- Clear / Refractive lens exchange (CLE / RLE) – 5 patients
- Complicated uveitic cataracts
- Complicated Cataracts (scarred cornea, post traumatic, severe dry eyes, healed moorens ulcer)
- Topical Phacoemulsification
- Phacoemulsification with premium IOL (multifocal and toric, trifocal)
- Small incision cataract surgery (SICS)
- Extracapsular Cataract Extraction (ECCE)
- Pediatric cataracts
- Carried out Medical Retinal Examination, Ultrasound, Intravitreal Injection, Vitreal Aspiration and Biopsy for sample
- Assisted Parsplana Vitrectomy and Retinal detachment repair surgeries, Cryopexy and Laser Photocoagulation for treatment of retinal disorders
- Conducted detailed clinical examination in cases of Ptosis, entropion, ectropion, lid and orbital mass
- Independently performed 15 dacryocystorhinostomies, 13 entropion correction surgeries with different techniques, 2 ectropion correction surgeries, 24 lid mass excisions & blepharoplasties
- Assisted ptosis correction surgeries (levator resection, silicon sling, fascia lata sling), Orbitotomy, Endonasal Dacryocystorhinostomy, Entropion and Ectropion correction surgeries using different techniques
- Conducted tonometry (Goldmann applanation, Perkins tonometer, Schiotz indentation tonometer) gonioscopy, HRT, perimetry (Humphrey and Medmont) and detailed clinical evaluation in cases of primary and secondary open angle as well as angle closure glaucoma
- Independently performed 5 trabeculectomy surgery and assisted many.
- Independently performed few laser iridotomy and assisted as well
- Independently conducted clinical examination in various strabismus cases including orthoptic examinations
- Assisted squint surgeries
Hands on experience in various investigations like USG, UBM, FFA, OCT, OrbscanII, WavefrontAberrometry, A- Scan, Specular microscopy, Autorefractometers, Automated Perimetry, Manual and Automated Keratometry, GDx, Electrophysiology (VEP and ERG testing).
The 3-year structured post graduate training programme included a dissertation. My study was a prospective interventional study lasting 18 months entitled “OUTCOME OF PTERYGIUM SURGERIES WITH CONJUNCTIVAL AUTOGRAFT AND/OR AMNIOTC MEMBRANE TRANSPLANTATION”which was submitted and subsequently accepted by the Gujarat University in January 2017.
Presented papers and cases in various seminars and in journal clubs in the department. Also participated in inter departmental educational meetings and conferences.
- Regularly took part in the National Pulse Polio Eradication program from 20072013
- Provided Comprehensive Medical Care at PHC, Kanbha and CHC, Singarva near Ahmedabad during period of Internship in 2013.
- As part of academic and clinical research work, my articles have been accepted for publication in indexed and non indexed journals.
INDEXED (PUBMED indexed)
- Patel CN, Antony AK, Kommula H, Shah S, Singh V, Basu S. Optical coherence tomography angiography of perilimbal vasculature: validation of a standardised imaging algorithm. Br J Ophthalmol. 2020 Mar;104(3):404-409. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2019-314030. Epub 2019 May 29. PMID: 31142464.
- Shanbhag SS, Shah S, Singh M, Bahuguna C, Donthineni PR, Basu S. Lid-Related Keratopathy in Stevens-Johnson Syndrome: Natural Course and Impact of Therapeutic Interventions in Children and Adults. Am J Ophthalmol. 2020 Nov;219:357-365. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2020.07.006. Epub 2020 Jul 15. PMID: 32681905
- Murthy SI, Shah S, Bagga B, Dudam R. Rituximab therapy combined with methotrexate for severe necrotizing scleritis in a case of granulomatosis with polyangiitis. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2020 Sep;68(9):1981-1983. doi: 10.4103/ijo.IJO_2249_19. PMID: 32823449; PMCID: PMC7690469.
- Retinoblastoma in Phthisis Bulbi. Shah S, Pandit R, Trivedi N. International Journal of Scientific Research, Volume 5, Issue 11, November 2016.
PAPER AND POSTER PRESENTATIONS IN CONFERENCES
- Video: Ocular Surface Angiography Made Simple. Chaitali Patel, Sahil Shah, Sayan Basu. Presented at the American Academy of Ophthalmology in 2018.
- Paper: Hyphema due to blunt trauma: A review of 50 patients. Sahil Shah, Dipali Satani. Presented at GOS in October 2015.
- Poster: Study of factors affecting adherence to anti glaucoma medications. Sahil Shah, Reema Rawal. Presented at GOS in October 2015.
CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS ATTENDED
- ICLEP at LVPEI, Hyderabad – October 2019 and October 2018
- ARVO – December 2018
- Ocular Surface Workshop – January 2018
- Telangana Ophthalmic Society – February, May, July 2019
- GOS – 2019
- AIOS – 2018, 2019
- DMEK Masterclass – September 2019
- Live cataract workshop conducted by Ahmedabad Ophthalmic Society - Jan 2014
- Glaucoma convene by Raghudeep eye clinic – June 2014
- 42nd All Gujarat Ophthalmological society conference –September 2014
- CME on LASIK –Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- CME on cataract - Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- CME on squint - Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- CME on Cornea - Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- Strabismology CME –September 2015
- AOSCON ( Ahmedabad ophthalmological society)- June 2015
- 43rd All Gujarat Ophthalmological Society conference- October 2015
- Cataract symposium 2016 Ragudeep eye clinic, Marriott
- Corneoplastique by Dr. ArunGulani 2016 - Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- Glaucoma convene 2016, Radisson blu
- Oculoplasty pearls by Dr. Santosh Honavar 2016- Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- Glaucoma pearls by Dr. RamanjeetSihota 2016 - Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- Cornea Seminar by Dr. Namrata Sharma - Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- Retina conference 2016 - Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- Keratoconus conference 2017 - Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- Retina and uveitis 2017, Sheraton
- CME on Rose-K lens - Shri C.H. Nagri eye hospital
- Live Cataract Workshop conducted by Ahmedabad Ophthalmic Society, March 2017.
Attended various monthly meets of the Ahmedabad Ophthalmological Society
- All India Ophthalmic Society (AIOS)
- Cornea Society of India (CSI)
- Young Ophthalmologists Society of India (YOSI)
- All Gujarat Ophthalmic Society (AGOS)
- Ahmedabad Ophthalmic Society (AOS)
- Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Ahmedabad Medical Association (AMA)
OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS AND EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
- Awarded DMEK CERTIFIED SURGEON at DMEK masterclass.
- Awarded and felicitated by BELLARI CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY for creating awareness for eye donation.
- Conducted the EYE DONATION DRIVE at Bellari, Karnataka.
- Worked at Mudhole, Paloncha and Bellari village centres of LVPEI and was responsible for drastic growth of Bellari center.
- Conducted ICLEP, EYE-PEP at LVPEI for 2 consecutive years which is host to at least 200 residents each year.
- DNB and Gujarat State Board chief expert – 5 times for conducting the final MS/DNB examinations.
- Certified Trainer for SICS / Phacoemulsification – for national and international candidates
- Voluntary Service done for non-Government Charitable Organizations including YUVA unstoppable and Red Cross Society, Ahmedabad.
- Participated in numerous cricket, football, badminton and swimming tournaments at intercollege and inter-club level.
I have a passion for starting something novel which will bring about a change in the way we practice ophthalmology.
I do not hesitate in taking initiative, ambitious, am a good leader, a team person and my sincerity and devotion towards my work are my biggest strengths.